IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development.
The SAFE Initiative seeks to enable journalists working in difficult environments to continue to do so as safely and securely as possible. This objective will be accomplished through the establishment of three regional centres for journalists – El Salvador for Latin America, Kenya for Africa, and Georgia for Eurasia.
Summary of Position: The Training Program Coordinator, under the supervision of the Center Manager, will be contracted for an 8-month period to arrange logistics and improve regionally contextualized security trainings and workshops to journalists from East Africa and Horn of Africa.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Description of Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Centre Manager ensure that the project is implemented according to project plan through monitoring workshop outcomes;
- Provide technical input into SAFE training sessions and methodology, incorporating a regionally tailored context into the materials;
- Conduct ongoing monitoring and evaluation of trainings and materials to address any deficiencies and identify trainings to be added in order to monitor training quality and implementation; create exercises to test learning objectives of participants;
- Coordinate follow-up with training participants;
- Assist Centre Manager as directed, and work in collaboration with Finance Manager to organize accommodations, transportation, meetings and other necessary activities for visiting journalists;
- Monitor and coordinate 24/7 emergency assistance hotline to journalists; • Collect training materials (including agenda,presentations and lessons plans);
- Provide data when required for the Monitoring & Evaluation plan and any other monthly or quarterly reporting required by IREX.
- Experience in conducting trainings preferred.
- Media or journalism professionals preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of program management experience.
- Substantial experience working in high-risk environments or emergency situations.
- Experience of working constructively as part of a small team.
Interested applicants should email their CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Training Program Coordinator’ by no later than 5pm on Friday 09 May 2014.