ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non-discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED now operates in 35 countries worldwide, with over 200 international and 4000 national staff.
ACTED Kenya / Somalia is looking for experienced self-driven and self-oriented professionals to fill the above position;
Reporting to the Country Director, ACTED Kenya/Somalia Security Officer will oversee the security situation, her/his duties will include:
- To regularly assess and analyse the security situation, identify and implement appropriate risk mitigation measure in Nairobi and in all ACTED areas of intervention in Kenya and Somalia.
- Daily security check-in with the field security focal points recorded in the Security Monitoring Plan.
- To participate in relevant meetings and build a strong network of contacts in Kenya and Somalia.
- Adjust security procedures and revise security plan as needed and ensure their implementation in coordination with the field coordinators and their security focal points (ex. staff movements, communication, clearance, etc.)
- Oversee the implementation of security and safety measures as stated in ACTED Security Plan or decided with the Country Director.
- Provide security briefing to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures. This includes briefing to all newly recruited staff joining ACTED
- In collaboration with the Coordination team develop security procedures, SOPs and field security briefings for new arrivals with the field security focal points.
- Advise on security equipment and on premises, conduct periodic security assessment of the same and advice on improvements and solutions appropriately.
- Advise Coordination on security matters for project development, implementation and routine work.
- If possible, advise on humanitarian access negotiation
- Provide training and capacity building for staff members in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills in terms of safety and security.
- Ensure that staff members are proficient in the use of safety and security equipment, including communications equipment, vehicle emergency equipment and personal security safeguards required for work in the field.
- Facilitate security clearances for areas where required.
- Provide advice on the security of transportation and logistics.
- Responsible for complying with all the reporting requirements within the various sub departments to the country department team, HQ as well as donor requirements within the FLAT process.
- Ensure proper filing/file maintenance of security related documents.
- Act as the security focal point for the Nairobi Office; supervise the security guards performance in Nairobi; in cooperation with the Administration, maintain an updated staff lists, including details of visitors.
- Develop security guard training tools for both Kenya and Somalia and security equipment maintenance check-lists / calendars.
- This position will require frequent travel to ACTED’s areas of intervention in Kenya and Somalia.
- Perform any other duty as requested
Qualifications / Skills Required
- A minimum of three years relevant experience on security,preferably at a management position, in an INGO.
- Good understanding of the Somalia context.
- Strong analytical skills (context, people …)
- Flexibility/pragmatism and dynamism/commitment
- Good understanding of security procedures and equipment
- In-depth knowledge of security management and risk management
- Excellent resistance to stressful situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective work relations at all levels,
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to manage varied workloads, and deal constructively with stress and working long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision, pro-active and a good team-player.
- Computer literate
- Capacity to build a maintain a strong professional network
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, three work related referees, contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 6th June 2014