Handicap International is an INGO specializing in the field of disability and development. A strong emphasis is placed on empowering people with disabilities through their integration into mainstream development activities and the provision of appropriate health and rehabilitation services to ensure equal opportunities for all.
The rehabilitation project in Dadaab aims to provide and secure tangible and measurable improvement of independency in activities of daily living and quality of life of refugees living with physical impairment or disability.
The Position: Responsible for daily management of the refugee technical aids technicians and to reinforce/build the capacity of the rehabilitation workers, family members and persons with disability.
The Rehabilitation Officer empowers rehabilitation refugees workers assigned to the technical aids workshop, center based, day care and outreach functional rehabilitation services, to be creative in designing, modeling, adjusting, fabricating/producing, repairing and issuing of assistive devices appropriately to person withdisabilities.
S/he will be responsible for
1. Capacity building
- Developing training material and providing practical training aiming to empower and build the capacities of Outreach Rehabilitation Workers in technical follow up of assistive devices in the field.
- Training and giving guidance to produce activity of daily living devices, learning aids and stimulation toys to the rehabilitation technical worker and the day care worker
2. Ensuring standard quality of services
- Under the coordination of the Rehabilitation Team Leader, contribute to the development and implementation of client management tools and procedures
- Ensuring that the rehabilitation workers and technical aids technicians develop good communication and collaboration between functional rehabilitation unit, technical aids workshop and community aiming to fabricate, fit, deliver and follow up quality assistive devices.
3. Capitalization and documentation
- Under the coordination of the Rehabilitation Technical Team Leader, participate to the improvement, maintenance and use of the data collection system.
- Compile and analyze lessons learned during the project and contribute to the development of capitalization document on delivery appropriate assistive devices to people with disability living in refugee context.
- Diploma or Bachelor degree in Orthopaedic technology (P&O) or any other rehabilitation trainings (PT,OT) with additional training on Wheelchair technology and/or wheelchair Service Training Package – Intermediate Level (WSTP-I) and postural management
- Minimum of 2 years practical experience in related discipline, particularly in development or humanitarian context
- Knowledge of disability and community-based rehabilitation an added advantage
- Fabrication of assistive devices
- Fluent in English & Kiswahili
- Ms office
- Clinical assessment for provision of assistive devices skills
- Training development and facilitation skills
- Reporting and monitoring skills
- Team management
- Knowledge of Project Management
- Knowledge of Proposal development
- Clear understanding of seating systems.
- Organizational skills
- Team Player
- Decision Making
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to multitask
- Problem solving
If you feel you are the right candidate, kindly send your application along with an upto-date CV indicating 3 (three) referees with their current official contacts including email addresses by email to: email@example.com
The email subject line should be marked: “Application for Rehab Officer – TA position”Only short listed candidates with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.