The Africa Alliance of YMCAs (AAYMCA) is seeking to recruit a project officer to achieve the advocacy targets and provide technical support to the member associations’ advocacy activities and events. The project officer will ensure delivery based on integrity, high quality of implementation and desired impact of the programmes.
AAYMCA is a non-profit organization with a focus on youth development that unites YMCAs in 20 countries from across Africa in order to harness resources, share experiences and address the challenge of youth development as a continental network.
AAYMCA was formed in 1977, is registered as an NGO in Kenya and represents the oldest and largest Pan-African NGO network in the African continent.
The depth and breadth of AAYMCA’s work in Africa is based on the principle of developing young people for the holistic transformation of their communities, nation and the Continent. The Vision of the YMCAs is “empowering young people for the African Renaissance”.The AAYMCA Secretariat based in Nairobi provides technical expertise to its member YMCAs; promotes cooperation within the continent and the worldwide YMCA family.
The Project Officer will be responsible for design and implementation of an effective Pan African advocacy strategy.
Profile of the Project Officer
- Demonstrable experience and results in advocacy work at national or regional level
- Demonstrated understanding of social justice and economic development priorities in Africa
- Demonstrable understanding of key actors in advocacy in Africa and globally
- Experience in transfer of knowledge on advocacy
- Self-starter with ability to handle multiple tasks at a time and work well under pressure
- Experience in working within a multicultural, multidisciplinary team
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes
- Computer literate
- Skills in social media and management of online forums
- Demonstrable interest and understanding of youth development priorities in Africa
- Demonstrable networking skills
- Degree from a recognized university in social sciences, development studies or law
- A minimum of four (4) years experience in an advocacy position in a civil society organization in Africa.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and detailed CV, including referees by 4 p.m. on 10th May 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the position and reference number.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.