The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Kenya serves vulnerable populations in the Turkana and Garissa regions as well as in Eastleigh, Nairobi.
The IRC implements programs in the areas of comprehensive primary health care, nutrition, protection, peace building, water and sanitation and hygiene (WASH), HIV/AIDS prevention, response to gender based violence, and governance.
Applications are invited for the following position:
1. Opthalmic Nurse (Hagadera)
Job Purpose / Objective: To provide holistic ophthalmic nursing services to both inpatient and out patients within the hospital.
The ophthalmic nurse is directly responsible to the Senior Clinical Officer-Ophthalmology and will carry out the following duties:
- The nurse shall work in the eye ward/eye clinic as assigned and shall therefore work as both supervisor and team leader to the ophthalmic assistant/s and auxiliary staff.
- Prepare for and assist the OCO/OS/during the ward rounds and whenever required.
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedures are properly carried out and documented on patient’s charts/ files.
- Refer to the OCO/OS on call relevant information such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management.
- Assist eye patients with activities of daily living while in the ward.
- Arrange and submit weekly ward work schedules and plan daily duties and responsibilities for each staff under their supervision.
- Convene eye ward meetings and attend monthly hospital meetings.
- Escort patient to other referral hospital when necessary.
- Do hospital coverage and on-call duties as required.
- Participate in camp eye health surveys/campaigns.
Reporting and communication:
- Compile and submit quarterly inventory returns/requisitions for all necessary eye drugs and supplies.
- Conduct regular training session for OAs, auxiliary support staff and CHWs on PEC, basic nursing care and management of various eye ward cases.
- Give eye health education to patients and clients
- Compile and submit monthly reports.
- Monitor and supervise proper consumption of supplies and drugs.
- Maintain equipments in good working condition and submit regular inventory reports of the same.
- Maintain drug registers and oversee drug consumption within the ward and clinical.
- Ensure that all admissions, discharges, transfers and deaths are properly documented as they occur.
- Report any significant changes in operations to the hospital matron.
- Carry out any other additional duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas
- Organization of nursing care services within the allocated eye ward/unit.
- Registered Nurse from KMTC or recognized nurse training institution
- Must have a Higher Diploma in Ophthalmic nursing from a recognized institution
- Registration with the Nursing Council of Kenya
Required Experience & Competencies:
- At least 2 years working experience in a busy eye hospital/ clinic setup.
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Sensitive to different cultures.
- Team player
All interested candidates can apply at www.rescue.org/careers
Please apply on or before 11th June, 2014
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.