Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, humanitarian, non-governmental organisation providing assistance to people in need as a result of natural and man-made disasters, irrespective of race, religion, ideology or politics.
MSF Switzerland (MSF-CH) is currently seeking to employ a qualified candidate for the following position:
Scope of responsibilities:
The Medical Doctor will be supporting the Agok project in South Sudan under the supervision of the Medical team Leader (MTL).
He/She will have the following scope of responsibilities;
- Ensure and organise medical activities for patients and/or a population in accordance to the context, to MSF protocols and to universal hygiene standards taking into consideration quality and continuity of care
- Ensure supervision and training of a team
- Be responsible to the medical team in OT
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis and prevention (helped by clinical examination, laboratory results and exams available)
- If necessary prescribe relevant treatment according to MSF guidelines and protocols
- Ensure a medical follow-up of quality and if necessary (and possible) refer to other health facilities
- Apply hygiene standards in all medical activities
- Keep informed the patient and his family about any development
- Collaborate with nurses and team supervisor in indicating the needs in medical equipment and drugs
- Has an obligation to contribute and monitor the ward pharmacy: availability of the relevant drugs and medical material
- Has an obligation to contribute and monitor the quality of the disinfection and sterilization process of the material and medical equipment
- Is in charge of new needs identification, in terms of drugs and medical equipments, in line with pathologies met in his/her medical practice
- Participate to the organisation of the ward in collaboration with nurses and/or team supervisor
- Check the good course of medical activities within the ward (prescription correctly applied, necessary follow-up done…)
- Organise and work in collaboration with other wards and departments
- Supervise, motivate and train a multidisciplinary health team and more particularly staff carrying out medical activities (formal and informal training)
- Could propose protocols and guideline for medical activities if doesn’t exist (after validation by the technical referent)
- According to MSF protocols and guidelines, and in order to ensure continuity of care when the he/she is not on the spot, could be asked to define treatment protocols or treatment adaptation to be applied by nurses
- Participate in the development of the plan of action
- Monitor the medical activities, analyse them in the context, with a public health approach and make propositions of possible evolution if necessary
- Report immediately to the technical referent any problem arising in the service, especially the loss/ robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines.
- Organise and carry out Minor and major surgery activities in a Mission, taking into consideration MSF protocols and hygiene standards. Will be encouraged to perform surgeries to his/her capacity and if need be request for referral of cases to other facilities recommended by MSF
- Education: Recognized medical doctor degree and registered with Medical practitioners and dentist board.
- Experience: Experience in Surgeries during and after internship
- Language: Fluent spoken and written English.( Computer Literate)
- Personal qualities: Organisation skills, rigour, flexibility, ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment,open-minded, good communication skills, ability to listen, and diplomatic.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application letter and a detailed CV via email to; MSFCH-Juba-FinHRAssistant-Nbo@geneva.msf.org.
Deadline to receive applications is on 6th June 2014.Only Short-listed candidates will be invited for interviews.