Our client is a leading Financial Services Company with a strong presence across Kenya and offers a wide range of products to cater for retail and SME’s clients. Owing to continuous growth in customer numbers, asset base and size of operations, our client is looking to hire a Legal Manager.
Job Purpose: As part of the management team, you will be responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services as well as effective management of legal and contractual risks.
You will also manage and coordinate the work of the company’s external counsel.
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will be expected to;
- Providing legal advice to departmental managers including reviewing legal documentation, management of legal due diligence and liaising with external counsel as required
- Drafting standard contracts and specialized contracts for specific activities, reviewing and negotiating contracts to which the Company is a party. Ensuring that all such documents and third party contracts are properly and promptly executed
- Monitoring and reporting on changes to applicable statutes and regulations
- Monitoring and reporting on compliance to the legal requirements and implementing corrective action as necessary
- Preparing for legal cases in conjunction with external counsel and monitoring progress to ensure prompt resolution of all disputes
- Evaluating the legal standing of transactions as well as all other operations by the company and offer appropriate advisory to management;
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- LLB Degree from a recognized University and Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Postgraduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law
- At least eight years legal experience in a reputable organization, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting; Experience in the Financial Services is an added advantage.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel;
- Good knowledge of principles of good corporate governance
- Strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills
How to Apply:
Send your application including a cover letter demonstrating why you are the best suited candidate for this role, a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, a daytime phone contact, email address, and the names of three professional referees by close of business Wednesday 30th April 2014
P O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that we do not charge fees for receiving or processing job applications.