Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. We work with communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
This director will also be part of the senior management team and will have the opportunity to bring an HR perspective to key strategic issues the organization is considering.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages global HR issues related to organizational operations.
- Supervise HR Team at HQ with field oversight
- Develop and monitor annual departmental budget, goals and objectives and annual operational/work plan for both HR and Administration teams
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of HR related transactions
- Plans, implements, and manages the human resources function for Adeso, including recruiting, employee relations, regulatory compliance – domestic & global compensation, benefits, staff development, and employee communications
- Responsible for staffing, employee education and training, management development, compensation and benefits, employment contracts
- Serve as a resource for managers; coach and mentor senior managers to effectively use the full range of HR tools such as the performance process.
- Investigates employee relations issues such as disciplinary, grievances, equity issues
- Maintain a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits program to support Adeso’s ability to attract and retain high quality and well qualified employees
- Manage HR related external vendors such as payroll and benefits administrators
- Manage employee immigration processes to include tracking of visas, coordinating filings, employee communications, and coordinating with legal counsel.
- Prepares job descriptions and prepares and updates Adeso’s employee handbook
- Manages and coordinates departmental activities as it pertains to EEO, USAID rules and regulations, policies and practices and advises relevant staff on implementation
- Serves as subject matter expert on compliance and adherence to HR standard operating procedures
- Partners with heads of departments to develop HR programs that support project goals
- Effectively communicate HR policies, procedures, programs andlaws organization-wide
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of eight years related experience
- Strong working knowledge of and experience in international and local national HR including labor law and local regulations
- Strong international experience ideally with an NGO or government contractor that works with USAID contracts in developing countries
- Ability to work collegially and across cultures in a diverse work environment
- Experience managing an HR team both at HQ in Nairobi and the field offices
- Proven management, supervisory, budgeting, and negotiating skills;
- Outstanding communications skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to train staff and make Adeso-wide presentations as well as facilitation skills
- Proven ability to negotiate employment contracts
- High degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion is essential
- Skills in facilitation, collaborative team building and conflict management.
- Proven ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to workplace diversity
- Outstanding organizational skills; the ability to multi-task and make decisions under pressure as well as prioritize issues and make policy and other recommendations
- A caring work style that supports the mission and vision of Adeso and works
- collaboratively with all staff to ensure transparency and trust
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 11th June 2014.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.