Happy Villages Kenya (HVK is an NGO working towards a world without extreme poverty using existing community structures to assist the poorest in the community in an honest and accountable manner. HVK is based in South Uyoma, Kenya.
Opportunity Description: HVK seeks to recruit highly competent and self-driven youth for a 3 month internship program that will give the selected Interns a unique opportunity to work with HVK to sharpen their skills and prepare for future careers while working within the community. HVK’s key focus is to train community groups on a variety of programs including WASH, Business Enterprise, Female Sanitation & Hygiene, HIV/AIDS prevention & Permaculture.
HVK recruits and empowers young University graduates (Interns) strengthening their facilitation and teaching skills. Throughout their placement, the Interns will receive professional development opportunities that will equip them with desirable skills to enter the workforce as talented, experienced, and in-demand professionals.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitate HVK programs to youth in schools & community groups;
- Conduct coaching for program beneficiaries and make regular follow ups;
- Administer M&E tools and undertake data gathering from participants & community based partners;
- Take responsibility in scheduling training dates, time and venue for program participants;
- Prepare and present field reports to respective supervisors;
- Regularly share blogs and field stories on the HVK website;
- Carry out at least one community development project during their internship tenure;
- Perform any other extra duty assigned.
HVK Kenya is recruiting for internship opportunities in the following Departments:
1. Finance & Admin
3. Community Health
4. Agriculture/Permaculture & Environment
What we are looking for in a prospective HVK Intern:
- Be Kenya citizen willing to be based in East Kano;
- Be a university/college graduate or soon to be graduate. Having graduated between 2012 and 2014 with a Diploma or Bachelor’s degree.
- Graduates who show genuine desire to serve among the poor in rural Kenya.
- Demonstrated ability to create networks and linkages;
- Have ability/passion to coach peers;
- Have a good understanding of youth and gender issues;
- Be a comfortable user of Computer applications; Microsoft office suite; Browser and Social media
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Be aged between 21 and 26 years;
- Good interpersonal skills and presentation skills, proactive, initiative and a team player;
- Willing to undergo training;
Terms: Voluntary unpaid position with onsite accommodation offered within our Community Resource Centre Staff and Volunteer Housing. All work related expenses covered. 2,000Ksh monthly living allowance.
Applications should include;
- Letter of application indicating interest statement of why you want to Intern with HVK in 800 words
- Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
- Three letters of reference with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
- Copy of National ID
- Reference letter from your university lecturer
- Copies of Certificates, Diplomas or Transcripts
Note: Applications will be accepted through e-mail to:
Recruitment Committee, HVK
or delivered to P.O Box 19573, Mega City, Kisumu, 40123
or in person HVK Offices – Community Resource Center, Lieta, South Uyoma, Turn Right at Lweya Primary School, following the dirt road for 500m behind the posh mill. Proceed until you reach Happy Villages blue gate.