Opportunity Kenya Ltd is a growing microfinance institution with operations in Nairobi, Western, Nyanza and Rift Valley provinces of Kenya, and is seeking qualified applicants for the Debt Recovery Officer Position.
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the Debt Recovery Officer must represent Opportunity’s core values of Commitment, Humility, Respect, Integrity, Stewardship and Transformation. The Debt Recovery Officer shall be located at the Head Office.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Assists the Chief Risk Officer in the design, implementation and application of sound lending and collection practices as part of the credit and risk management function and processes
- Ensures all credit activities are in compliance with sound business practices, legislation, regulations, by-laws, policies and procedures.
- Conducts regular reviews of lending limits, audit controls, lending caps and other risk management areas to ensure compliance; reviews commercial and retail files on a random basis.
- Assists the Chief Risk Officer to establish and document credit management policies, processes, and clear guidelines including for pre-loan eligibility requirements, client screening, collateral, product design, loan approval authority level, repayment terms and incentives, and delinquency and default management.
- Ensures that loans adhere to existing policy guidelines, that documentation is adequate to ensure security of collateral, and that ongoing administration and review is adequate to maintain the loan portfolio’s quality and profitability
- Implements, with assistance from the Chief Risk Officer, effective delinquency measurement and loan loss monitoring policies and procedures including a standard monitoring tool for payments in arrears and portfolio at risk.
- Assists the Chief Risk Officer in ensuring the application of sound lending and collection and risk management principles and ensures compliance through unannounced spot checks and audits.
- Embarks on an exercise to recover accounts that have been written off
- Ensure that appropriate telephone and/or personal contact is made at the earliest possible stage on written off accounts, in accordance with the recoveries time table
- Ensure that payments are correctly allocated to the appropriate accounts
- Check demand letters for a hundred percent accuracy before dispatching same
- Ensures that he/she takes cognizance of duties performed by other team members to enable adequate cover to be provided at all times of holiday/absence
- To assist the Chief Risk Officer in the management of external agencies (bailiffs, lawyers, debt collectors)
- To undertake Debt Recovery Analysis process and provide improvement recommendations
Qualifications & Experience
Minimum Education and Experience
- A Bachelors degree from a recognized University
- General knowledge in banking with emphasis on credit/banking operations
- Three (3) years’ experience in the relevant field
- Excellent analytical skills and appreciation of ICT (especially, MS excel).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong team player with good interpersonal skills.
- High sense of integrity.
- Strong Christian values and sensitivity to gender equality
The Ideal Candidate will possess the following attributes
- Self motivated, works well with minimal supervision
- Pro-active, Goal oriented, high level of initiative
- Team player
- Honest and reliable
Qualified candidates are invited to send their application letters, an up-to-date CV, telephone contact, copies of academic and professional certificates and names and telephone contacts for three current referees to the Human Resource Manager by Monday 12th May 2014.
Kindly indicate your current salary.Please use the following address:
The Human Resource Manager
Opportunity Kenya Limited
P.O. Box 19497-00202
or send application to email@example.com