The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) is a not-for-profit organization working with African governments, other donors, NGOs, the private sector, and African farmers to significantly and sustainably improve the productivity and incomes of resource poor smallholder farmers in Africa.
AGRA aims to ensure that smallholders have what they need to succeed: good seeds and healthy soils; access to markets, information, financing, storage and transport; and policies that provide them with comprehensive support. Recognizing that inappropriate or poorly implemented policies can blunt incentives for investment in productivity-enhancing products and services, AGRA’s Policy and Advocacy Program leads the organization’s efforts to strengthen Africa’s food and agricultural policy systems over the long-term while spurring reform and innovation in the short-term.
AGRA has developed a new Advocacy Strategy. Under the Strategy, AGRA’s advocacy mission is to be a clear and consistent voice for an evidence-based, market-driven, smallholder farmer-led Green Revolution in Africa. The anticipated outcomes of AGRA advocacy are: (1) scaled innovative models; and (2) reformed policies.
Scope of Work: Using methods of data mining, statistics, and data visualization, the consultant will assist staff in AGRA’s Policy and Advocacy Program to identify and present underlying trends and patterns in macro and micro variables relevant to AGRA’s mandate.
The consultant will perform advanced analytics on large unstructured and structured datasets related to African and global agricultural development, aiming to measure, interpret, and predict trends and patterns of relevance to AGRA.
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Agriculture, Geography, Statistics, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Business, or equivalent work experience.
- A Masters degree preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in agricultural development-related activities in Africa;
- 3+ years of increasingly responsible professional experience in data analysis and data integration;
- 2+ years of quantitative research experience, with a strong emphasis on spatial analysis and detailed report preparation.
Skills and Attributes
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Access);
- Experience in using software programs such as Excel, SPSS and SAS for data analysis;
- Basic knowledge of GIS tools or data (e.g. ArcGIS) and relational databases (e.g. SQL Server – Spatial);
Duration: This position will be open for a period not exceeding 6 months with the possibility of extension based on the need for further assistance in this area and funding availability.
Interested candidates should send their applications and CVs on or before March 15, 2014 to the following email address: email@example.com.
Only successful candidates will be notified.