Shining Hope for Communities has developed an innovative, community driven model to combat inter generational cycles of poverty and gender inequality in Nairobi’s Kibera slum. Shining Hope for Communities invites applications from suitably qualified applicants to fill the following vacant position:
Position: Assistant Teacher
Vacancy: 4 in Mathare, 4 in Kibera
Reports to: Headmistress
Hours: Monday Friday, 7.30am to 5pm
Primary Purpose: To create a flexible class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with students; to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for upper elementary grade education in accordance with each student’s ability; to establish good relationships with parents and other staff members
About Kibera School for Girls: The Kibera School for Girls is the first free primary school for girls in the Kibera slum.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaches students using KSG’s curriculum.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Uses a variety of instruction strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Assesses students’ ability to learn for the purposes of refining classroom activities and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding students’ progress, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
- Supervises students in out of classroom activities during the school day.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with school and national testing program.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Diploma in Early Childhood education is preferred
- Diploma in education(P1 Training)
- Passion for Shining Hope’s mission and work and ability to work comfortably in the Kibera slums.
- At least two years of teaching experience at an ECD Centre or primary school and demonstrated expertise in the classroom.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities; comfortable working in a fast paced, dynamic environment and committed to meeting deadlines and creating and improving processes.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), presentation, and analytical skills.
- Desire to be held accountable for student academic growth and academic results.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers.
- Analytical problem solver and solutions oriented strategic thinker who overcomes difficult challenges.
- Technological proficiency.
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
- Ambitious nature interested in growing as an educator and reaching high standards professionally
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Officer,firstname.lastname@example.org quoting their current and expected salaries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Or Hand deliver their applications to our offices in Kibera.
Directions to Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) (Kibera School for Girls), From town board matatu number 8 from Railways Station or KBS No.32C from Kencom Bus Stop Alight at Olympic Stage.From here, walk straight on upto Olympic Primary School.Continue walking down past Olympic Primary upto the Railway line.
(This area is called Kamukunji) Cross the railway line and turn right into a small path that goes into Gatwekera Slum.
At the end of this short small path turn lefT, Walk straight down (you will walk almost 10 15 minutes) until you reach a blue signpost written Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) with an arrow leading you to our offices.
Applications should reach us no later than 16th June 2014. Female candidates particularly encouraged to apply.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.